Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Introspection

Wow, get ready for Teary Tuesday. Just kidding.

Today is a calm day. I like Tuesday mornings because I work late and I can dilly dally to my little hearts content. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I study, sometimes I do nothing at all but wander around and play with the puppies. Today was "Pinterest" day. I created that Williams Sonoma lemon/water/rosemary/vanilla mixture that is supposed to make your house smell just fabulous. I must say that, so far, it is quite delicious. Win.  I also created a homemade pet mess cleaner out of hydrogen peroxide, dawn, and baking soda.  It says on food.com that you are supposed to wait a couple of days then vacuum. Honestly, I don't think I will wait that long. It's been about an hour and the mystery stain is nearly gone. And the carpet is still the same color, so that is good, right?? Oh, Pinterest, you are my love. And thanks to great friends who pin  great stuff.

So, exciting things are happening around here. I'm getting ready to go on another Solo Road Trip (or SRT, if you want to be really gia gia and of those "in the know"...ha). I'll admit, it wasn't initially intended to be solo. It's over 1600 miles, and I've never driven that far alone before. I've traveled that far, but not driven. I traveled by myself to the same destination, but via plane. Turboprop, to be exact. Given that I'm not of model build, it wasn't the most pleasant experience. What? You try crunching your not so tiny self into a turboprop next to the meanest looking, chaw-chewing, down home cowboy from Houston. Not. Good. After I got home, one of my students mentioned to me that Houston is the armpit of texas. Suddenly, all made sense. But I would more accurately call it the buttpit. People were mean.

So, taking into account that I will be at said destination for over a month, I will need a car. This city isn't exactly known for its public transportation. Also, to be frank, it's hotter than hannahbell there and I am not too keen on waiting for a bus/train whatever in the sweltering heat with humidity at 148.9%. I have naturally curly hair, 'nuff said.

So, I'm driving. And no one I know can go. I'm ashamed to admit that I briefly considered not going. There are many reasons, but one of them was the fear of the what if's. SERIOUSLY??! I, the girl who got on a train and got off in Ohio to work as a maid, the girl who ended up working in the armpit of the nation (Wall, South Dakota), the girl who has traveled numerous places by herself, including Seattle numerous times, was scared?? What the hee haw, man?? What happened to me???

Have I gotten (GASP) OLD?!?! Goodnight, Mary! I had to give myself a proverbial smack to the head to get it on straight. Apparently, I am in a dire situation and need this more than I thought. I need my adventure back, I need my moxie. Somewhere along this journey, it has disappeared.

"So, Christi, what are you going to do about it??" Funny you should ask. I'm going. And I'm going to have a great time. I've got a brand new car and a full coverage warranty, the fixins' for sammiches, a brand spanking new membership to AAA, a GPS and a list of places to see. I'm going, and it will be great.

My brother and sister in law will be with mom in case she needs anything, so I'm going. And I'm going to see this:


And this:




So, it's time to take Miss Vida Boheme (my car) and hit the open road. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment